Monday, January 21, 2013

The longest class EVER!!!!!

So Saturday I had plans with my sister-in-law to go to my dad's Pilates class.  That's right, I said my dad.  He's 72 and still teaching Spin and Pilates.  I'm sorry, that should say "Johnny G. Spinning" and "Xtreme Fusion Pilates" and "Fitness Arts Mat Pilates."  He'll probably get annoyed if I don't give him his proper due...

Me and my Dad
Anyway, as I was saying, I had plans to go to my dad's class.  Now it's important to say that I have been to this class a few times in the last few years.  But it usually takes me a looooong time to go back.  (I think I need time to forget how hard this class is before I go again.)  But my sister-in-law goes to a pilates class every week and she was intrigued by my dad's class and wanted to try it.  So I said I would go with her.

I think I should mention here that this class is way more than a normal pilates class.  There is a LOT of floor work, but there is also a lot of strength training involved too.  Oh, and did I mention that this class is 2 & 1/2 hours long?!?!  Oh boy!



Anyway, since I've been back to working out, this should be no problem...WRONG!  This was one of the hardest classes I have done in a long time.  Now don't get me wrong, I was able to do a lot of the work, but it was hard and repetative and loooooong!  My dad likes to do a crazy amount of reps.  Especially on abs.

Unfortunately there was a section of the class that was a little tougher for me.  Not because I don't have the strength, but simply because I am short and a little too wide right now to be able to do the moves.  This was really hard because I hate to feel like a failure.  And there were all these other people in there who could see that I couldn't do it (not that they were even watching me...but I'm sure you know what I mean.)  Well, it was bad enough that I left the room for a little bit.  I went to the washroom, and then I calmed myself down. 


By the time I went back, they were finshing with the stuff I couldn't do and I was kind of relieved.  But it did remind me why I am working out and why I am cleaning up my diet...I don't EVER want to feel like that again.  EVER!

I was able to finish the class (remember....2 & 1/2 hours!)  And I was even glad I went.  Although I have to say that I was really glad that I brought my P90X Results and Recovery drink with me.  No. I'm not trying to be a commercial here, but usually after a class with my dad I can barely move the next day from all the sore muscles.  Instead I was only a little sore, but I could still feel all the areas that were worked...pretty much every muscle in my body!


So overall, I'm really glad I went.  Although I don't think I'll be back for a little while, but I will go back.  I want his friends from class to see that I've changed too.  And the next time I go I will be stronger, healthier, and thinner enough to do it all!

7 comments:

  1. Awwww I know that feeling. :( I remember it well. But I bet you the next time you go, you'll be doing the whole damn thing! By the way - holy crap on your dad!!! 72 and still teaches 3 workout classes???? DAYUMMMNNN!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I plan to do it ALL nest time. And yeah, my dad is awesome. He teaches 3 types of class, but he teaches 6 days a week!

      Delete
  2. Good job Erica!!! You should feel so accomplished and proud of yourself...that is a LONG ass class!!

    xoxo
    Roxie-Girl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dad is AWESOME!! 2 1/2 hour class?!!! Ugh. I have a lot of trouble with certain exercises and just feel like if I can't do them right, I might as well not do it at all. Then I just want to give up.

    But then I realize that I really want this change in my life and as long as we stick with it and keep trying, we can do anything and WOW EVERYONE!!

    J'Wana @ massagemomfitness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my dad is pretty crazy about working out! And I know how you feel about those exercises! But I also agree that we will get this all together and then, YES! WOW! :)

      Delete
  4. I know you well and you will be back because in my experience you have an iron will. You can do the class just remember that this level takes 6 to 24 weeks to master. The results for those who "stick it out" are sensational and are due to the level of intensity. I would urge you to remember how the regulars look and rejoin as soon as possible. Either way you are still the best kid ever. Dad

    ReplyDelete