Monday, July 30, 2012

The Quick Cleanse

This past weekend I did a quick 3-day Shakeology cleanse.  Going into it I was thrilled.  Three days of not having to plan my meals, three days of no cooking, and three days of (hopefully) watching the scale go down.  And I love Shakeology, so easy peasey!

The first day was the easiest.  I was still riding high on all the excitement and all the food I had eaten the day before.  I got up in the morning and all I had to do was follow the plan.
It was simple.  Make a cup of green tea and drink it.  Make a shake and drink it.  Then go about my day.  About 2 hours later I had an apple.  Yum!  Later, another shake and more tea.  Ok, you can see the plan right there.  I don't need to bore you with a play-by-play.  But I will add that I still had plenty of energy the first day, so I did part of my scheduled Turbo Fire workout.  I got through the rest of the day with no problems, I drank all my water, and I wasn't tired or hungry.  Great day!

I got on the scale the second day and was down 2 pounds!  What?  Awesomeness!!!!  I was thrilled.  However, my coach had warned me not to workout too much or I would go into "overtraining" mode.  This works pretty much like starvation for those of you who haven't heard the term before.  So on day 2 I did not workout.  I did do some normal household stuff.  I did not get really hungry or tired on this day either.  But I did get tired of having to pee every 15-30 minutes all day long. 

Ok, so my body has always liked to hold water.  When I got pregnant with both of my kids, the first thing my body did was add 10 lbs of water weight in the first 2 weeks after finding out.  And no, I did not start eating more, it was just water weight.  Even since then, I have noticed that my ankles will swell if I sit in a chair (like at dinner) for too long.  It is so annoying!  I think that maybe I was a sponge in a past life.
Anyway, lots of trips to the bathroom that day.  Apparently I had a lot of stored water that still needed to be flushed out.  I thought I got rid of most of it when I finally started to eat healthy all the time, but I was obviously mistaken.

So the third day was the hardest.  At this point I was tired of drinking shakes all day and wanted some real food.  I also got on the scale that morning and saw that I was only down 0.2 lbs.  I should have been ok with this because I had lost 2 lbs. the previous day.  But I was only kind of ok with it.  I think I was starting to get tired and crabby and run down.  However, I told myself that this was the last day and then it would be over.  So I followed the program. 
I did go out and mow my lawn, while my husband and kids helped with raking up sticks and sweeping the patio.  I just needed to do something and my backyard was starting to look like a jungle.  As a reward, we all went to the pool when we were done.  And this is when I started to really feel it.  I told my daughter I would go on the slides with her, and oh man was it hard to climb up all those steps to the top.  I work out, I've been building up my muscles, but by the time we got to the top, I thought my legs were going to collapse.  And since I have the best 6yr-old daughter in the world, she completely understood when I said I could only do that one more time...and after a little break!

By the time we got home, I was exhausted.  I felt useless and I wasn't even hungry.  So my family had dinner without me, my husband gave my kids a bath and got them tucked into bed, and I tried to choke down my last meal of the day.  I felt like a lump.  The only thing that kept me going was the fact that it was the end.  No wonder you shouldn't do this for more than 3 days.

Now that the cleanse is over, I can say that it was totally worth it.  I got on the scale this morning and found that I was down another 1.8lbs which makes a total of 4 lbs. for the weekend.  I fit into my next size down jeans.  And I can eat again!!! 
I also discovered that my natural hunger drive is back in working order (it was a little screwy before).  And my natural thirst is back...I haven't had that for years!  So I am really thankful to my coach for suggesting this, and to the wonderful friends that I went through this with.

If you'd like to do this too, I can help you through it.  And you know where to find me!    Press Here!






No comments:

Post a Comment