Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Fast FAIL....and smoothies!

So yesterday I posted about trying this 2-day fast thing.  EPIC FAIL on that.  Well, not really epic, but I just couldn't get through the whole day.  Even with the extra smoothies I was having, I realized that by 2:00pm, when I had to pick up my kids from school, I was STARVING!

So I picked up my kids and we went to Mariano's (an amazing local grocery store) and of course the first place I went was straight to the bakery section.  Because, HELLO?, I was starving and my brain was being stupid.  Luckily I had my kids with me, so I was able to buy a few treats...but only for them.  However, I decided to look in the frozen food section to see if I could find some different fruits for my smoothies that I've been making to help me get in all my fruits an veggies for the day.  I found a lot!

 

After spending the time shopping (and wishing I could eat something not good for me) we came home and I made the decision that it is ok if I don't follow through on this 2-Day Fast that I put myself on.  I didn't really fail.  I just realized that my body was telling me I can't do this to myself.  Aside from the fact that I was really, really hungry, not eating much all day was bringing back a lot of old, bad feelings. (see My Story)  And now that I know what is actually healthy for my body, and for my mind, I am ok with deciding that a fast is just not for me.  I don't need to fast, I just need to keep eating healthy foods.  (And seriously, I was really missing my favorite shake...you know the one!)

Today was much more normal.  I started my day with a shake, did some work, worked out, and then went through my new foods to make an afternoon smoothie.  Here's what I tried today:  4 oz of unsweetened almond milk, 3/4 cup of frozen strawberries, 3/4 cup of frozen mango, 3/4 cup of baby spinach, 1 medium banana,  and 2 oz of water (because it was too thick).

Afternoon smoothie.  Unsweetened almond milk, strawberries, mango, spinach, and banana. Yum!  4 more servings!
  
<-----Look at all that healthy goodness in there!
 
 
 
 
 
What it looked like all mixed together
 ----->
 
 
 
 
 
 
 So I never tried this recipe before, and seriously, I didn't find it anywhere either...just made it up from what I had.  And it ended up being really super YUM!  I think tomorrow I'm going to be even more daring.  I swear, there has to be a way to make a smoothie that tastes like carrot cake.  And you can bet I'll figure one out.  I'll let you know when I do!  ;)
 
If you have a favorite smoothie recipe, please feel free to share in the comments below.  I can't wait to see your recipes!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I love sticking frozen mango in smoothies (which reminds me, I'd better pick some up!). Good for you, listening to your body. Fasts always SOUND good to me but when it actually comes down to it, I just can't hang. Better to listen than to turn it into a melt down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rachel for your support. And I'm trying new smooties all the time. Mango is going to be making an appearance a lot!

      Delete