Wednesday, March 5, 2014

When times get rough...

So I am in the middle of doing the 21 Day Fix with my test group, and suddenly I am spending the last 5 days helping a dear friend deal with the loss of her mom.  Now you may not know me that well through this blog yet, but when I have a friend who is hurting, it's just like if one of my kids was in pain.

I go into mama bear mode.  

Protect. Fix. Nurture.

So the last few days have been a whirlwind of calls and visits and pretty much just being utterly available for my friend.  But, I'm in the middle of doing a program with a group of people who are also depending on me to be a good example.  So what do I do?  Well, I buck up, and get it all in.  I know, that sounds trite.  But it's basically what I did.  I was honest with my group about what was going on, and I let them know that I would be less available than normal.  However, I also told them that I would still check in.  And then I made sure to get my food planned so I wouldn't slip, and I got my workouts in early in the day so that I could be available for the rest of the day.  And of course I also had plenty of help from my husband and my mom (because it's not like I could just abandon my own kids!)

Overall, I did pretty well.  I only missed one workout, and I managed to stick to the nutritional aspect of my program pretty closely too.  I may not have done as well as I would have if life had been normal, but considering how easily I wold have gotten off track in the past I can say I am really proud.  I'm proud of myself for keeping it together, and for being able to make it all work so that I could be the kind of friend that I believe is the only kind of friend to be.

Anyway, that's what has been going on with me the past few days.  I'm very tired from all the efforts I put out, but I can honestly say it was worth it.
And now life goes back to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment